Using a heat press to create your own designs can be a great hobby or a way to make some money. Once you have set up all your equipment, you can make almost anything. One thing you will need though is a printer, and as Epson is such a trusted brand, we’ve put together the best Epson printers for heat transfers.
They have a few printers we recommend so let’s have a look at some of the best and then find out how to print your heat transfers.
- 1 Our 4 Best Epson Printer for Heat Transfers Picks
- 2 Printing Heat Transfers
Our 4 Best Epson Printer for Heat Transfers Picks
Let’s get into it.
1. Epson Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer
The Workforce WF-7710 Wireless Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer allows you to copy and scan your designs. If you are drawing freehand this is a simple way to load your designs to print them on your transfer paper.
It has a 4.3” color touch screen so you can choose your settings quickly and easily. It has Ethernet and wi-fi connectivity so you can work from home or send your designs to it from your phone or tablet, or iPhone and iPad. You don’t even need to keep an eye on your ink as the printer is Amazon Dash Replenishment Enabled.
When it comes to printing your heat transfers, this printer has everything you need. It can offer borderless printing, so you can print an image of up to 13” x 19”. It is quick as well so you don’t have to waste time waiting to press your designs.
If you’re working with special papers, such as transfer paper there is a rear paper feed.
When you’re not using this printer for your heat transfers, it makes a great home printer. The sheet tray holds up to 250 sheets of paper so you can print large or small documents with ease. You can even print on both sides of the paper.
Included in the package are:
- 1 x WorkForce WF-710 all-in-one printer
- 1 x Instruction Manual
- 1 x Power Cord
- 4 x DURABrite Ultra Ink cartridges (1 x black, 1 x cyan, 1 x magenta, 1 x yellow)
2. Epson Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-Format Printer
The Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-Format Printer is a wide format A3+ printer but it is still compact. It has a 2.4” LCD screen so setting up your print is quick and easy.
For creating your transfers, it has borderless printing in a range of sizes, from 4” x 6” up to 13” x 19”. One big advantage of this printer is that it uses HD photo quality inks so you can really bring your designs to life. It also uses 6 inks instead of the usual 4, so you get a wider variety of colors and hues. It is even Amazon Dash Replenishment enabled, so you need never worry about running out of inks.
You can connect via an Ethernet cable or use the wi-fi connection to transfer from your iPad, iPhone, Android tablet or smart phones. This gives you the freedom to work anywhere then print your designs when you get home.
This printer also makes a good home printer. It has a front tray which holds up to 200 sheets of paper, and a rear feeder tray for specialty paper. It can also print 2 sided documents.
Included in the package:
- 1 x Expression Photo HD XP-15000 printer.
- 1 x CD-ROM for product setup.
- 1 x Power cord.
- 4 x Claria Photo HD 312-I ink cartridges (1x Black, 1x Cyan, 1x Magenta, 1x Yellow).
- 2 x Claria Photo HD 314-I ink cartridges (1x Gray, 1x Red).
- 1 x Cleaning Sheet.
3. Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer
The Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer may not offer the most features, but it’s a reliable printer when you’re working with graphics. Not only that but you will receive free image editing software in the box to get you started. This includes some ready made designs and ideas for you to work on to create something truly unique.
This printer only has an Ethernet connection, but if you work from home, that will be all you need. It has a range of pre set sizes to print, from 4” x 6” to 8.5” to 11” so you can use it to create a wide variety of projects.
When you’re not using it for your designs, it can be used by all the family. It holds up to 120 sheets of paper, so it can print larger documents easily.
Included in the package:
- 1 x Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer
- 1 x Black Ink Cartridge
- 1 x Cyan Ink Cartridge
- 1 x Magenta Ink Cartridge
- 1 x Yellow Ink Cartridge
- Printer Documentation
- CD-ROM containing printer software
4. Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer
The Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer includes a scanner and printer. It is one of the new generation printers which don’t use cartridges. Instead, it has easy to fill print tanks, which are more cost effective than normal cartridges. It even comes with enough free ink for up to 6,500 pages of black print, or 5,200 pages of color print.
The printer has wireless connectivity, so it can be connected to iPads, iPhones, smart phones and android tablets. This means you can create your designs wherever you are and save them to print when you are home. You can even store your designs and load them using the built in memory slot.
For home use, the printer has 2 sided printing, and is easy to use for all the family.
Printing Heat Transfers
Now you have your chosen printer, you need to practice printing on your heat transfers. Before you do this you need to make sure you have a way to edit your image.
Create Your Image
Unless you’re drawing your designs, you will need software to create and edit them. You don’t need anything special and there are a number of different programs you can use. Some printers include free software to get you started and once you have an idea what features you need, you can purchase the software of your choice.
Print Your Image
If you want to print your image right, you need to follow these few tips.
- When you go to print your image, always choose mirror image or reverse image. When you place your transfer on to your material, it will go face down, so your image will appear back to front if you do not reverse print it.
- When setting the print, use the highest print setting you can. This will give your design a really authentic look and highlight the color.
- Always print a test piece first. You don’t need to use transfer paper to do this as you first need to check that your image looks ok just on plain paper. When you are happy with it, print a test on your transfer paper.
- You can print more than one design on to your heat transfer paper, so don’t waste your paper unnecessarily. You can cut round each design before you press them.
- When your designs are printed try to trim it as close to your image as you can. The heat press with transfer the border on to your fabric as well as your design, so the less border there is, the better the result will be.
The great thing about printing your images is that you don’t have to invest in an expensive printer. An inkjet is all you need and many homes already have one of these. As you get more confident, you may want to purchase your own, but you won’t need to make a huge investment in to this.